CustomCycles

Raleigh Chopper and Custom Bike Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 speed chopper vs. 3 speed chopper gear ratios?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:18 pm 

Can anyone tell me if the range of gear ratios is the same between a 5 speed and a 3 speed, in other words can I, say, go uphill easier on a 5 speed in the lowest gear than on a 3 speed in the lowest gear? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of doing a long distance charity cycle on my 3 speed mark 2 but I'm wondering if I could manage the climbs easier on a 5 speed.

Post subject: Re: 5 speed chopper vs. 3 speed chopper gear ratios?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:10 am 

Do you mean a Derailleur 5 speed, or a 3+2 5 speed?

Watch Out, The "Mongers" are about. God help everyone!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 pm 

Preferably a 3+2 but I'd consider using a derailleur if one comes up for sale. Although for me the Mk 1 is a more comfortable bike to use.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:16 pm 

skooter wrote:
Preferably a 3+2 but I'd consider using a derailleur if one comes up for sale. Although for me the Mk 1 is a more comfortable bike to use.

You can get mk1 five speed derailleur models

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Aiden, have you checked out Sheldon Browns website? that old bike nerd had everything covered! would`nt be surprised if he had the strumey ratos there in inches!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:00 pm 

Aidan is planning to do the Ring of Kerry on a Chopper...

Not the easiest thing in the world..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:00 pm 

qwerty5oo wrote:
Aiden, have you checked out Sheldon Browns website? that old bike nerd had everything covered! would`nt be surprised if he had the strumey ratos there in inches!

Had a look, thanks, lots of detail but it doesn't have the info that I need. So what I've done with my Mk 1 3 speed is measured the amount of times the rear wheel spins to one revolution of the crank in 1st gear, the rear wheel spins almost 2.5 times in 1st gear, if someone with any 5 speed can do the same measurement in 1st gear with their bike it should tell me if the gearing is lower, e.g the rear wheel should spin more than 2.5 times, thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Aiden here is Micks John O Groats to Lands End trip subject here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2487 He basically just changed the crank to a a twin chainwheel doubling his gears. Also I think Ron`s also done that in the past? (the gears not the loooong ride South)
http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm 

yes, as it happens, I have....

I converted a three speed AW to six speed, by fitting a twin sprocket conversion and a derailleur. Very easy to do as well as being easily reversed.

It all works on a 3+2 shifter to boot!

Watch Out, The "Mongers" are about. God help everyone!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 pm 

Hoover5ken wrote:
Or change the rear sprocket, I am riding two of my bikes on a 15 tooth rear which ups the gearing of the 3-speed and only costs about £2 on e-bay for the sprocket and takes about 15 mins to put on.

Great advice everyone, especially Hoover5ken, I might give this method a try. The Ring of Kerry cycle that I'm hoping to do is an annual event on the first Saturday of July, it's 112 miles so I don't know if I can do it in 1 day on a chopper, I've done it quite a few times on a road bike so I don't think the distance will be a problem, just the amount of daylight hours needed to do it in 1 day, John H and the rest of the Irish Raleigh Chopper Club are working with me on this so I've lots of support, ta again.
PS here's the link http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Aiden, fantastic if you can do that many miles in one day on a Chopper! I KNOW that I could't do anywhere near that mileage, even on Bradley Wiggins' shove-iron :P
Good luck and well done in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:43 pm 

Good luck on your ride,
just for the record I did a charity ride back in May & did 100 miles on a Mk2 3 speed. Now I expect the Ring of Kerry to be a bit more challenging gradient wise than here in Norfolk but I did mine in just over 7 hours. My mods were to fit a 48 tooth front sprocket with a 17 tooth rear (standard being 18 I believe). I'm doing it again next year on a '70 MK1 3+2, something I have found out is standard ratio on a 3 speed AW is 33% in top gear whereas a S5 in top is 50% overdriven. I have yet to decide if this time I will be fitting a 17 on the rear but definitely fitting a 48 on the front. I hope this helps. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 am 

Chopper Gav wrote:
Good luck on your ride,
just for the record I did a charity ride back in May & did 100 miles on a Mk2 3 speed. Now I expect the Ring of Kerry to be a bit more challenging gradient wise than here in Norfolk but I did mine in just over 7 hours. My mods were to fit a 48 tooth front sprocket with a 17 tooth rear (standard being 18 I believe). I'm doing it again next year on a '70 MK1 3+2, something I have found out is standard ratio on a 3 speed AW is 33% in top gear whereas a S5 in top is 50% overdriven. I have yet to decide if this time I will be fitting a 17 on the rear but definitely fitting a 48 on the front. I hope this helps. :D

Thanks for the advice Gav, and well done on doing that distance. I've received my work roster for this year and unfortunately I'm in work on the weekend of the Ring of Kerry cycle, I can't get a work swap so this might have to wait 'til 2014, thanks everyone again for all the advice.