CustomCycles

Raleigh Chopper and Custom Bike Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:14 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NOS frame
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 pm 

about 6 months ago i purchased a NOS Mk1 chopper frame in orange with a 1975 frame date
based on comments from Rob a few months back its probably a warranty replacement frame that was not used

now it is NOS but its not new it has the shop ware expected of a 35 year old frame, chips and discolouration from waxy coating, although still a very deep un faded orange.

now i'm in a qandery

if i build it in to a bike it looses its unique selling point and becomes just a mk1 cross over with a weird frame date.

if i don't its a waste of space and money.

plans so far have wavered from just building a daily from the various mk 1 and mk 2 bits i have
or
going all out and building it like a 14 year old would have done if they had been given it in the late 70s and had access to what they needed

i.e apply a bit of childish 1 upmanship that would have made it stand out

mines got a bigger seat and 5 gears ner ner ne ner ner etc

MK1 seat
HBR
Mk2 rear wheel (easier to find) with S5/2 and the appropriate 3+2 gear change
Mk 1 bars
Mk2 brake levers and brakes

i.e a cross over hotch potch, thats easy to do, will look presentable and has the best bits appropriate for the age of the frame.

would this be doing it an injuctice?

keep in mind it will when complete look like it was made in 1975...i aint going to the chromers

yes i know its mine and i can do what i like with it, but ive got to the bottom of that motivation curve through inactivity.

any views?

while i'm here anyone see any issue with fitting an S5/2 centre from a british made-SA sticker-aluminium centre into an AW 3 speed can. the axle length on my S5/2 is the same as a chopper

save me building a complete wheel and more appropriate for chopper era even if the internals are not

Dave