CustomCycles

Raleigh Chopper and Custom Bike Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I always wanted a chopper...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 pm 

... but back in the day had to make do with a second hand Chipper (hand painted by my dad).

I'd forgotten (for 30 odd years) this until my brother and I spotted a rusty yellow number in a garage about to be demolished. The owner wanted twenty quid. Done. Obligatory poor quality photo attached...
Attachment:
chopper.jpg
chopper.jpg [ 110.18 KiB | Viewed 5065 times ]

Some googling led me here but not before I discovered that it is MkI - gold yellow frame, adjustable handlebars, seat post with bolt, May 1970 SA 3-speed but some parts are MkII - gear shift and pedals. Is it normal to find hybrid models like this? Or is it more likely that broken bits were replaced back in the day?

The gear shift is missing it's red handle, the 123 window and the flourescent indicator plus there is a crack in the plastic and no cable to the rear.
Should I:

a. Be looking to get an original MkI unit as a replacement (rocking horse dodo?)
b. Repair what is there with parts as needed.
c. Get a MkII unit.

My current thinking is to take apart. Clean and polish up. Replace bearings as necessary. Sort the gear knob. Sort the very knackered seat. New cables all round. Probably new tyres and then take it for a spin down the shops to show off to my mates.

Any pointers to the best threads to stop me making stupid mistakes will be gratefully received.

Simon

PS Is it inevitable that I will end up doing a full bare metal/rechrome resto job. Is there any way to resist this temptation??

EDIT: Uploaded a bigger, poor quality, image

Post subject: Re: I always wanted a chopper...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 am 

bargain matey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:24 am 

Started the strip down today.

Bunch of Q.s arise

1. The gear cover is mk1 but the handle (missing knob) is mk2 are these interchangeable? Could I get a mk1 lever and knob and fit these instead?

2. The sissy bar is stuck on one side. I've read about using a trolley jack and block of wood. Good idea?

3. The cotter pins are stuck. A whack would get 'em out and destroy 'em. Should these be replaced anyway?

4. The there is a "neat" crack in the seat stay just where it meets the rear hanger on the right of the bike. It has gone all the way round as though a pipe cutter was taken to it. I suspect this is a classic weakness? Best method of repair?

That'll do for now and I imagine some of the answers will be in the book by John Lee (on order)

cheers

Simon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 am 

firstly--welcome Simon-
1 yes your shifter unit is interchangeable just need it stripped down and replaced with the correct lever and a knob..not difficult but watch you dont loose bits!!!!
2 don't use any bottle jack bud..not a god idea just be paitent with the wd40....
3 cotters should be replaced but only whack if you're sure it will not bend em---thats when troubles start..
4 best person for seat repairs is niven ladd (a legend in his own life time..)

all the best and good luck with it if you need anything here is the place to ask.....

regards J.C.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:22 pm 

Thanks JC,

Regarding #4 it is broken frame I am referring too - at the bottom of the seat stay. Apparently a bit of brazing should sort it.

However you are correct about my seat too. I stripped it to the core and it needs a new cover, new foam, new under-board, possibly a new back plate. And the metal insides (the former) has some nasty corrosion at the rear. I see that Niven Ladd has a number on a website. Is he contactable through the forum?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

He's or wasn't online for years, but someone will pm you his phone number