CustomCycles

Raleigh Chopper and Custom Bike Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MK2 NOS BUT NOT NOS
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

I picked it up yesterday .. 65 quids worth of petrol and 5 hours of my life Ill never get back sitting in the car. :?

The bike is as the pics .. frame is prety scratched , and micro pitting on most of the rust , but to be honest it will clean up well enough .
Owner reckons his dad took it off him because he didnt take care of it ...i.e. leaving it unattended and at risk from theft , I suppose like most kids would. His dad was a bit of a tyrant from the sounds of it , although the owner cant really remember why for definite, or how lomg he actually owned it before confiscation. From he sctarches on the pedals and grips Id say he rode it for a few weeks...maybe the summer holidays ?

Dad had a very large cupboard at the side of his bedroom ..over the stairs I guess .
When dad died a few months ago , they sorted the house out and found the bike covered with a sheet at the bottom of this cupboard .
The owner thought his dad had got rid of the bike 35 years ago , but it had been there all the time.

Its nice to have the full history of a bike, and this story is worth telling .

As I already have a nos mk2 in red , and another nice "survivor" in red , I really dont need another red one, so I may just sell this at Billing .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 pm 

Interesting story, but what a miserable f***er his dad must have been!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:47 pm 

I disagree Buick Ian. I imagine he was disappointed with his son for not looking after an expensive bike. (what would have you done?) Remember he stored it away and did no get rid of it, imagine the son's surprise when he found it again all those years later. The memories must have come flooding back!!!! Also have a red NOS one, but may be interested in buying it for my daughter.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

chopperpete wrote:
I disagree Buick Ian. I imagine he was disappointed with his son for not looking after an expensive bike. (what would have you done?) Remember he stored it away and did no get rid of it, imagine the son's surprise when he found it again all those years later. The memories must have come flooding back!!!! Also have a red NOS one, but may be interested in buying it for my daughter.....

yes maybe but crikey let the kid have it back within a few weeks, not 30 yrs later thats takin the slash,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:12 am 
Site Admin

To be honest, I guess after a few weeks without the bike , the kid kinda lost interest in it ... Maybe the school Holls finished and the school work , plus autumn nights sort of distracted him , plus he may not have been much of a cyclist anyway.
He certainly didn't seem attached to it in any way , glad to get rid of it .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:51 pm 

chopperpete, I would never have got away with it! Have you met my Son? He's bigger than me :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:46 pm 

think this story plus discussion highlights why we all love Choppers..........can't wait for the next Chopper story!!!